1.10.08

more music triggered memories


Updating the iPod recently, I rediscovered Soul Coughing. In about 97-98, I went through a phase of listening to these guys All The Time. Actually saw them play Bumbershoot in Seattle in 1997, went down with a few friends (two friends and one crazy chick, if you must know; and no, I did not bring the crazy chick (thanks Bob)) and had such a great time. And their show was insane, a solid hour (or so?) of mad beats, lights and fog, and dancing fun.


We stayed at my friend James' place, he and his girlfriend were out of town. The crazy chick, let's call her Brenda, was an F'ing nightmare to live with, even for two nights. She used all of the toilet paper, like four rolls at least, dealing with her makeup. She broke their Bodum. I don't remember what else, but I do remember we had to go shopping at JC Penny afterwards to re-stock their house.

For some reason, Bob still ended up dating her. Well, I know the reason, but to this day I question that judgement.

After the Soul Coughing show, we were exhausted and still somewhat hazy from all the action - and we ended up running into an old Acquaintance of mine (let's call her Susan). Awkwardness ensued. I can't even remember who she was there with, but I don't think I said a word for the entire four (?) minute interaction; I just kind of deflected uncomfortable silence while trying to will a getaway. I was uninterested and certainly beyond able to deal with the situation. Thank you Mental Fugue, you once again saved me at the end of that night.

I look at these friends of mine now. We are still friends. We have, between Ardel, Bob and myself, five kids. (I am not counting Brenda, because I of course have no idea what happened to her.) My daughter is about to turn One, and the day after, Ardel (who just had her second son, see live blogging of birth link below) celebrates her birthday.

Life is funny.

Happy birthday to all you early October babies!

2 comments:

Ardel said...

best bumbershoot ever. (though in my alternate universe, top honors would go to david lee roth playing hot for teacher w/ ween in '99).

happy birthday baby j! congrats to your mom and dad for making it through the first year.

BC said...

Now that would have been good too. Diamond Dave is so underrated.

Happy birthday to you too, Ardelly!