21.10.08

eating in Chicago, the good side


If you ever get a chance, go eat at Avec. It's at 615 Rudolph (or is it Randolph?) in The Loop. The little sister restaurant of Blackbird.

Furthermore, if they have the pappardelle with chicken liver sausage and cream sauce on the menu, order it tout de suite. Then eat the whole thing. That is the pinnacle of comfort food right there. Best pasta dish I've eaten all year. Fact.

They had a bunch of other stuff that looked damn good. For example, my neighbors got some bacon wrapped meat balls in a red pepper sauce. Oh man, the smell.

My starter was the beet salad with fennel, chives (though my
other neighborgs got parsley for some reason) and a little chili oil. Not bad, though it needed some acid - lemon, I mean, not F'ing LSD you dirty hippie. My dessert was house made milk chocolate gelato with a shot of espresso poured over top and some pistachio biscuits. Now that was a damn good dessert. Not overly sweet, not really remotely sweet, just a really nice finish to the meal.

Cool room too.

Just go already.

No comments: