25.10.08

guitar chat

So a friend of a friend just won a brand new made in the USA Stratocaster. And he doesn't even play the guitar.

Not that I would trade mine for his, although his is worth considerably more money. Mine was made in Japan. In the early '80s, Fender opened it's first factory in Japan. The story goes, the Fender execs toured the plant after it opened in 1983 and when they saw the precision that the Japanese were getting on their instruments, the Americans wept.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I do love my guitar. I love two inanimate objects, and the Fender is one. It's not an original 1983, but according to the serial number (starts with A), it was made in '84 or '85. And everyone who has played it is amazed at how easy it is to play. The neck is quite skinny, for one, and the action is perfect (for me, anyway).

Now if he'd have won a Gibson SG or Les Paul, there would be a fair amount of cash money on the table right now.

2 comments:

Fred Jala said...

what's the 2nd inanimate object?

BC said...

Top secret. It's not smaller than a bread box though, if that helps.