25.12.08

obligatory Xmas post


Merry Christmas everyone!

Okay, enough with the formalities. Holidays are for two things: ... oh, you thought I was going to say family, right? Ha. Well, actually, no. Maybe immediate family, like your spouse and your kid(s). I can give you that.

And hey, don't get me wrong, I don't mind family time at all. I actually like my in-laws. And, after 30-odd years, my own family isn't so bad either. I mean, I've finally gotten used to them. Sort of. But c'mon, let's be honest: what do you want to do with your days off? Yeah, I thought so.

You want quality time with your favourite person, who is you. Or possibly your spouse. Or your kids. Or Jack Daniels. Well, whoever it is, gather them around and pass some quality time together with movies. And what is better than Xmas for seasonal-themed movies?

Now, before we begin, let's just say no to "It's A Wonderful Life." Say What-Ever to "Miracle on 34th Street." And, do you seriously still like watching that weird stop-motion show with Rudolf and that suspect little elf with the oral fixation? Because dude, you're 30-something. WTF. C'mon!

No, there are two essential Xmas movies. These must be watched at some point during the holiday season. There is no excuse not to do so. If you don't, then your name is Ebenezer "Prince of Darkness"
Grinch. (And you know what, that might be your name if you're watching that Rudolf special while simultaneously reading this.)

1. Scrooged, starring Bill Murray

Before Lost In Translation, Bill Murray did so have a dramatic career. And in my opinion, it started with Scrooged. His take on the Dickens "classic" (or so I hear), and it's a gooder. Funny, touching, great cast, it's got all you need for Xmas. Well, no explosions or gunplay, but almost everything. And when he has his epiphany at the end, I swear (and don't go telling anyone this, I'll deny it plus I'll beat you silly afterwards), every time it almost, almost, brings out a tear. Every time. Put a little love in your heart, y'all!


2. Die Hard, starring Bruce Willis.

This truly does have everything you need for Xmas, including Alan Rickman doing a turn as a wicked German terrorist (or "exceptional thief"). No tears, per se, oh unless you count the rendition of Let It Snow over the closing credits.

Dang, just a sec, there's something in my eye...







Oh yeah, the other thing is drinking.

Wait, three things: the other other thing is eating to excess.

Yup. Wouldn't be Xmas without.

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

No comments: